Wednesday, November 5, 2008

#16 The Election

So a lot of people have been asking me about how the people in the UK are taking the election. Surprisingly everyone is very interested. Leading up to the election, Obama and McCain were front page news and people were really excited about it. The majority of people here in the UK were Obama supporters.

And so now it's on the tip of everyone's tongues. As an American, a lot of people want to talk with me about it. Who I voted for. What does it mean that Obama is president. What kind of effect it will have and so on.

It's almost sad that we, in the US, give so little attention to politics in other countries while they are very interested in our politics...

I think John McCain ran a fine campaign and I think his concession speech reminded me very much of why I liked him 8 years ago and why I would have voted for him over Gore if Bush hadn't won the primaries.

Here's a video I made:



Yeah, it's a bit satirical. But like I said, I have a great respect for McCain. Palin, well she's another story. I think she probably lost the election for him.

And where did I put that... Oh, here it is. I just found that soapbox I've been looking for.

I'm really proud that Obama is our next president. And while we have leaped ahead and progressed in such a way that wouldn't have been fathomable 50 years ago, we still have ways to go. In this election, people's rights are still being ignored.

Call it what you will. Maybe being gay is deplorable to god, in your eyes. But the fact of the matter is this: in the US, everyone should have the same rights. Period. I don't think anyone can deny that. If you disagree with that statement please let me know why.

Thanks, I'll put this soapbox away now.

It's a great day to be a US citizen.