Thursday, November 20, 2008

#19 Some Sights

This weekend I forced myself to go sightseeing. Yeah, it took me about 2 months, but I finally went to a London museum and saw some of the sites here in London. I went to Hyde Park, Harrod's, the British National Gallery, and Tower Bridge.

"What's Tower Bridge?", you might ask.

This is Tower Bridge:


And this is London Bridge:


See the difference? A funny story about the original London Bridge...

Apparently it was falling down. As you might have heard. This was caused by an increase in traffic over the years (since it was built a long time ago, when there were horses and not cars crossing it).

An industrious man from a small town in Arizona bought the unsafe bridge and moved it to Lake Havasu, Arizona (where the traffic would demand slightly less of the bridge).

I was in Lake Havasu about a year and a half ago and didn't know the history behind the curiously named "London Bridge" that spanned across a channel in that rural Arizona town.

I thought to myself: Why would they name this bridge London Bridge? One that is out in the middle of the desert, in a town that in no way resembles London and is also called Lake Havasu. Shouldn't they have called it Lake Havasu Bridge? Further more, London Bridge has two awesome towers.

I've posted some pictures in the My London Picture folder. Enjoy!

No comments: