Thursday, October 9, 2008

#7 The London Facade

Just so you know, I love England's history and everything that comes with it. Including architecture. But, something that has really bothered me is that everything here looks fake. It looks like a facade.

And it's because I've been to Disney World. Disney World, with its fake European cities and towns has tainted my perspective. Even though I've been to other (real) European cities, for some reason London looks exactly like those facades set up in Florida.


Looks fake, right?

But no, that's genuine. The real thing. Built a few hundred years ago, not to look like a Tudor mansion. But built because it was a Tudor mansion. (Yes, now it has been gutted and holds a few shops, but that's beside the point)

So I have to come to grips with the reality of these beautiful buildings and streets that look like they were built on a Hollywood set. London is truly a magnificent city and looks too good to be true.

No comments: